Dec 4, 2020
Are you thinking about stepping away from social media over the
holidays? Or maybe you're planning on kicking off 2021 with an
extended sabbatical? You'll love today's episode! I tell you nine
things I learned from taking one year off social media and offer
you a few tips if you plan to take one yourself.
What I Learned:
- People have big feelings about (me) leaving social media.
- My activity on social media was not actually a "necessity" but
rather an addiction. So I had to set very specific rules for
- Shockingly, I did not lose any followers during my year off. In
fact, I increased across the board on every platform. I have no
- I picked the absolute BEST year to be off social media
- I don't want social media to tell me what to think. I'd rather
shape my thinking by God's Word, thoughtful and encouraging
podcasts, and great books by godly and intelligent
- I felt a little guilty about having huge life events happen and
not announcing them on social media.
- I am not as authentic on social media as I claimed to be.
- I am able to accomplish a LOT with 2 extra hours every
- Time flies when I'm off social media. I can't believe I've been
gone a full year already. I have very mixed feelings about
Whether you are taking a hiatus or not, build a
real-life community with the real-life people around you outside of
- Don't be afraid! This is YOUR life and you get to decide how to
spend it. In an emergency, people will find you and let you know
- If you are genuinely afraid of leaving social media, write out
all the reasons why--articulate them, name them--and then cast them
all on God. He will help you sort out your concerns.
- Set a clear start and stop date.
- Delete apps from phone and turn off all notifications. Consider
deactivating your accounts. Ask a friend to change your password
and keep it for you until you are done.
- Let people know you'll be gone and how to reach you. You don't
need to post it unless you are doing business on line or have a
large following. You can just send a PM to a few close
- Give yourself time to detox before you come back. Let yourself
feel the freedom from your phone.
- Have a plan with what to do with your time while you're
For my series on technology, phones, and social media, listen to
EP21, EP22, EP23, EP24, and EP25
My new book is
now available! You can buy Is the Voice in My Head God...or
Just Me? on Amazon!
Here's the Novel Marketing Podcast
episode I listened to just before I took my hiatus.
To read my announcement about my
hiatus on Facebook (9/11/19) click here.
Irresistible:The Rise of Addictive Technology and the
Business of Keeping Us Hooked (affiliate link)
The Social Dilemma Trailer on YouTube
Look at my redesigned website!
Email me if you are taking a hiatus so I can cheer you on!!!
For my FREE supplemental Bible Study Leader
Guide click here.